Our stories may be similar. The lies you’ve been made to believe may still float around in your mind, convincing you that you’re worthless. From here, we’ll start with the basics and TAKE BACK what the enemy has stolen from you. Let’s work through this together!
Below is a timeline of the last 30 years. In parenthesis, you’ll find the lies I believed because of things that happened in my childhood and early adulthood. Keep reading to discover how God’s word TRANSFORMED my stinkin’ thinkin’.
- Grew up in an unable household – regularly lived in relative’s homes or hotels.
- Raised in poverty.
- (I am worthless)
- Dad left when I was 8 years old and married into a family of 5, months after.
- (I am a burden. I am easily replaceable. I must please others to be loved.)
- Moved into one of the highest-rated crime areas in El Paso, TX.
- (I am worthless. No one likes me.)
- Went to 15+ schools – the chronic “new girl”
- (No one likes me. I am alone.)
- The first stepdad was physically and mentally abusive to my mother.
- (I am alone. I can’t speak my truth – my feelings don’t matter.)
- The second stepdad sexually abused me from ages 11-16 – he was in my mother’s gospel group at church – regularly involved in church activities.
- (I can’t speak my truth – my feelings don’t matter. Personal boundaries are not allowed – I am powerless. I am broken and irreparable.)
- Mom was mentally ill – terrified of sinning/going to hell. The gospel was presented to me in a fear-based way. Very codependent.
- (I am alone. I can’t speak my truth – my feelings don’t matter. Personal boundaries are not allowed – I am powerless. I must please others to be loved.)
- Married at age 19 to a physically and mentally abusive person and was in the relationship for 3 years.
- (I am worthless. I am alone. I can’t speak my truth – my feelings don’t matter. Personal boundaries are not allowed – I am powerless. I am broken and irreparable. I must please others to be loved.)
- Bankruptcy at the age of 21.
- (I am worthless. I am broken and irreparable.)
- Started drinking, trying drugs, partying, becoming promiscuous/experimenting with my sexuality, hanging out with the wrong people. False control and power.
- A trusted friend’s mother introduced me to witchcraft. False control and power.
- I had a dramatic encounter with Christ.
- I got back into church but was terrified of my own shadow.
- I met and married my husband and was pregnant soon after.
- Because none of the emotional wounds were dealt with in my relationship – I was jealous, controlling, angry, untrusting.
- (I am alone. I am easily replaceable. I am broken and irreparable.)
- After Charlie was born, I developed severe PPD and PPA, PTSD symptoms, panic attacks
- (I am alone. I am broken and irreparable. I am a burden.)
You’ll notice, as my life progressed, the lies of the enemy became larger and louder. They become a snowball rolling downhill, collecting more lies on the way down.
At your weakest point, the enemy will try to give you a glimmer of hope. Something tied up in a beautiful bow that is rotten on the inside. This thing will make you feel special, important, “in control”. If it’s not Jesus, it will not heal your broken areas. I can promise you from experience.
God started speaking things to me and lining me up with the right people that spoke life into me. BUT, I had to position myself to receive these things. You cannot isolate yourself when you’re seeking healing. Read your Word, PRAY, get in a group. It takes time. Sometimes, it doesn’t seem like anything is changing at all. But in a year’s time you will look back and see how far God has taken you and truly marvel at His love and faithfulness.
In order to conquer the lies of the enemy, you must believe the truth of God’s Word. The Truth will set you free.
Lies from the enemy about who he wanted me to believe I was and scripture to prove him wrong. #checkmatesatan
- I am worthless.
- Psalm 139:13 – For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful; I know that full well.
- 1 Peter 2:9 – But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.
- I am easily replaceable.
- Jeremiah 1:5 – Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, before you were born, I set you apart.
- I can’t speak my truth – my feelings don’t matter.
- Luke 17:3 – Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.
- Ephesians 4:25 – Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.
- I must please others to be loved.
- Proverbs 29:25 – Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety.
- Personal boundaries are not allowed – I am powerless.
- Galatians 6:5 – For every man shall bear his own burden.
- Proverbs 19:19 – A hot-tempered person must pay the penalty; rescue them, and you will have to do it again.
- No one likes me.
- Galatians 1:10 – Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
- I am a burden.
- Isaiah 43:4 – Since you are precious and honored in my sight and because I love you, I will give people in exchange for you, nations in exchange for your life.
- I am broken and irreparable.
- Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you, declared the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- Psalm 145:14 – The Lord upholds all who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.
- I am alone.
- Isaiah 41:10 – So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Psalm 34:18 – The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
God will free you (and therapy definitely helps), but in order to stay free, you have to STAY with your Source of freedom. The enemy will see an open door and sneak in. Keep your heart air-tight by meditating on the Word and reminding yourself who you are in Christ.
I promise you; God loves a good redemption story.